Friday, December 11, 2009

Seven Pounds

Some stories work from beginning to end; others begin at the end and work back to the beginning; rarely do they work out from the middle to the beginning and the end simultaneously.

That’s what Seven Pounds does.

So you feel thrust into this film. Right from the start, which is the middle, you’re confronted by events and behavior you don’t quite understand.

Will Smith transmits unsettled feelings and depending on your mood (I was a sitting duck) you will transition with him to somewhere he seems to be going, but where?

Minutes before I happened on Seven Pounds in my living room, I caught a news flash of Smith in the audience at Oslo, listening to the Nobel speech.

It kept the actor alongside the character in my mind throughout the film, and it made me wonder how much an actor can learn about life from the parts he plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment